10.10.2010

Soup Season

Soup season has officially arrived folks! (I hate the word folks). Let's say friends. 

Chilly days, hearty warm soup, crusty bread and a house filled with the mouth watering combination of all those scents. While in Italy last week, I had a soup I couldn't stop thinking about. It fit all the things I love about about food. Smelled amazing, looked beautiful, and had a great name. When I arrived home, (to 5 straight days of rain) a sweet acquaintance (thanks Miss Taylor!) had a recipe posted for this very soup! I took that (and the rain) as a sign. I should kick off soup season with this recipe.....and I should have stayed in Italy. 

So, as the sun decided to come out of exile, I decided it was time to get back in the swing of things. 
Meet RIBOLLITA! Say that 5 times fast. Anyways, here is the How To for this great dish. 


First things first. Get some of that great bread you're not supposed to eat in today's multigrain world. 



Then I followed Giada De Laurentiis' Ribollita Recipe from http://www.thekitchn.com/ with a few changes. I omitted the Pancetta because red meat is not welcome here, and I also added half a box of orzo I found in the cupboard(because what the heck else do you do with 1/2 a box of orzo). The ingredients are all pretty common, though I was a bit unfamiliar with Herbs De Provence, but it was at my local grocery store. And really, it's another fun one to say and cooking with something that sounds so prestigious made me feel a pinch like Julia Child (for a second). 

So chop, add, simmer, and toast up that fabulous bread in the oven. Serve over a piece of crusty bread and it will look something like this:

Sprinkle with some fresh parmesan cheese and your husband will look something like this:
Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving. I of course, remembered. 

But if I hadn't, it would have prompted my husband to ask what the crunchy leaf was in his bowl. 

Happy Soup Season! Get cookin' folks. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment